Looking for timers...

Go down

Looking for timers...

Post by Axelfar on 2008-07-08, 03:17

Looking to speed up the Zorori releases? We're currently looking for timers to help do all the timing on the RAW's...

Thanks in advance, either reply here or send me a private message!

Thanks!
-Acru

-Axelfar edit-
In order to be a timer, you need to have Aegisub on your computer and know how to use it.
Axelfar
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 331
Registration date : 2008-03-26

View user profile http://axelfar.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Looking for timers...

Post by kleb on 2008-08-19, 00:11

What do you mean by timing? Do you mean placing of the subtitles?

kleb
Joke Teller
Joke Teller

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-08-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Acru-Fox on 2008-09-05, 23:08

Since we plan on releasing eps 17 and 18 together, we're going to need timers. Those who have already asked will be sent a link to a clip to time. Anyone else who wants to time is welcomed to send me a pm or post in this thread. You will be asked if you can time with or without a script.
Acru-Fox
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-03-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kleb on 2008-09-07, 00:33

I guess I'll give it a go and I will need a script to do it.

kleb
Joke Teller
Joke Teller

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-08-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by USB 3.0 on 2008-10-17, 12:25

still need timers? Very Happy

i'm ready
USB 3.0
Joke Teller
Joke Teller

Male Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-06-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kyuubikira on 2008-12-23, 13:01

What does the job involve? I'm pretty handy with computers and I have some good video editing software
kyuubikira
Comedian
Comedian

Male Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-11-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxKit on 2008-12-23, 18:12

kyuubikira wrote:What does the job involve? I'm pretty handy with computers and I have some good video editing software
Timing is done with the Aegisub program.
Timing simply involves creating new 'lines' during the time each character is speaking. It's relatively easy when you get used to it, but it is a bit time consuming. Hope this helps, I'm sure Acru or Axel will have more to say about the work, it is their project. n.n
FoxKit
Royal Jester
Royal Jester

Male Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2008-05-22

View user profile http://mfox87.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by X on 2008-12-23, 19:28

kyuubikira wrote:What does the job involve? I'm pretty handy with computers and I have some good video editing software

Timing - "The Art of putting subtitles on a video and audio stream"

Basically, you time a translated script into the anime raw and make sure that the dialogue and subtitles are timed (in sync) correctly with just the right amount of lead-ins and lead-outs for the watchers to read the whole line... And you also get to time on-screen signs, like billboards, posters, and the like...

software: there are a lot out there, but aegisub is probably the easiest to use.. it has this pink lines in the audio spectrum that tell you its a scene change so as to avoid scene bleeds...
X
Royal Jester
Royal Jester

Male Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-10-02

View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/yell0wf0x

Back to top Go down

Post by kyuubikira on 2008-12-24, 09:56

this all sounds so complicated...
with a programme i use you can just add subs to the bottom of the page easily...
i use sony vegas
kyuubikira
Comedian
Comedian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by X on 2008-12-24, 10:56

kyuubikira wrote:this all sounds so complicated...
with a programme i use you can just add subs to the bottom of the page easily...
i use sony vegas

its basically the same for every other program... aegisub is custom made just for fansubbing... it includes everything you need for subbing stuff... and it makes sign timing easier 'coz of its text move features and text rotations... it even has drawing features...

and it saves and/or opens .ass .ssa files which are basically the files used in encoding...
X
Royal Jester
Royal Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by kyuubikira on 2008-12-24, 12:28

I ment the whole job sounds complex, not the program, vegas is extremely compicated, its video editing software at its best and most confusing!
I'm guessing that that subtitling program isn't free is it?
kyuubikira
Comedian
Comedian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by X on 2008-12-24, 12:50

actually, it is... just google it... you'll find it in no time...
X
Royal Jester
Royal Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by Axelfar on 2008-12-24, 20:55

The job of timing isn't complex, it's just very time consuming and tedious :S
Axelfar
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by X on 2008-12-24, 21:43

true true... 1 anime costs you like almost half a day, sometimes longer... shortest i did was about a lil bit more than 3 hours...
X
Royal Jester
Royal Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by USB 3.0 on 2008-12-25, 10:27

acru-fox wrote:The job of timing isn't complex, it's just very time consuming and tedious :S

you mean i'm doing all the tedious stuff for you?

it's almost the simplest part of fansubbing ..

once you get used to it you can time a whole episode within 2~3 hours ..
USB 3.0
Joke Teller
Joke Teller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Axelfar on 2008-12-25, 17:40

Well I did all the video encoding, timing and typesetting at one point, I got it down to two hours myself but then I just ended up having to encode, then upload then torrent it and it was just too much to do :S

It is a tedious job :S
Axelfar
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kyuubikira on 2008-12-26, 10:29

whoah it thake 2 - 3 hours!? thats insane, how do dattebayo subtitle naruto eps for an hour after they air then? is it because they have a whole team on it? and there must be a simpler way of subtitling episodes, I would have thought it could be done by someone who speaks japanese going through the episodes and adding the subs in as they go along.
kyuubikira
Comedian
Comedian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by X on 2008-12-26, 10:50

kyuubikira wrote:whoah it thake 2 - 3 hours!? thats insane, how do dattebayo subtitle naruto eps for an hour after they air then? is it because they have a whole team on it? and there must be a simpler way of subtitling episodes, I would have thought it could be done by someone who speaks japanese going through the episodes and adding the subs in as they go along.

dattebayo actually releases after around 10-15 hours of the original air date... airs in japan 7 PM thurs, subs comes out usually the next day in the morn...

they, like most large fansub groups, have access to HQ raws which are supplied to them from japan... their team then works on everything... dats how speed subbing works...

and no... subtitling episodes follow the same process no matter which group does it... TL(+songs if there are) ----> timing(+karaoke timing if there are songs) -----> typestting(+karaoke effects, still if there are songs) -----> TC -------> editing ------> QC ------> encoding -----> distro

As for TL, yeah, they watch through an episode, TL them as they go, repeat if need be, jot 'em down in paper or any word processing program... then leave the rest to timers and such...
X
Royal Jester
Royal Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by kyuubikira on 2008-12-26, 14:59

X wrote:
kyuubikira wrote:whoah it thake 2 - 3 hours!? thats insane, how do dattebayo subtitle naruto eps for an hour after they air then? is it because they have a whole team on it? and there must be a simpler way of subtitling episodes, I would have thought it could be done by someone who speaks japanese going through the episodes and adding the subs in as they go along.

dattebayo actually releases after around 10-15 hours of the original air date... airs in japan 7 PM thurs, subs comes out usually the next day in the morn...

they, like most large fansub groups, have access to HQ raws which are supplied to them from japan... their team then works on everything... dats how speed subbing works...

and no... subtitling episodes follow the same process no matter which group does it... TL(+songs if there are) ----> timing(+karaoke timing if there are songs) -----> typestting(+karaoke effects, still if there are songs) -----> TC -------> editing ------> QC ------> encoding -----> distro

As for TL, yeah, they watch through an episode, TL them as they go, repeat if need be, jot 'em down in paper or any word processing program... then leave the rest to timers and such...

I didn't know that, thanx.
But I still think that if I knew more japanese and I could get hold of the raw episodes I needed, I could subtitle a 20-30 minute episode in about 1 hour tops! Also I would just copy the opening for each episode and add that on the start to everyone to save time
kyuubikira
Comedian
Comedian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxKit on 2008-12-26, 18:48

kyuubikira wrote:
But I still think that if I knew more japanese and I could get hold of the raw episodes I needed, I could subtitle a 20-30 minute episode in about 1 hour tops! Also I would just copy the opening for each episode and add that on the start to everyone to save time

I don't know how much Japanese you do know, but sentience structure and grammar are much different than English. Most of the work of translating doesn't come from simply translating individual words, but making sure they make sense in English. So partly, no- no one person could translate, time, sub, and edit a 20-30 minute episode in anything less than say, 5 hours... And partly, it's a quality issue. Making sure your subs don't last beyond scene cuts, making sure your translation makes sense, and in Zorori's case, that the puns make sense; it's all very time consuming. A lot of work goes into quality control here, which is a large part of the reason that I get my Zorori fansubs from here.

Oh, and secondly, we do copy the intro and outro subs. For most animes, there are two sets of opening and closing credits per season, sometimes more, sometimes less.
FoxKit
Royal Jester
Royal Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by X on 2008-12-26, 21:47

kyuubikira wrote:

well, actually... every group only does it once, and just copies it to every episode, unless there is a new op/ed song... in zorori's case, there are suppoko songs in some episodes which need to be translated, k-timed, then added effects...

and i agree with FoxKit... no person in this world could ever subtitle a show in 1 hour...

just think about the time needed to time one episode, you'd have to time the whole script into the anime which is 20-30 mins long, not to mention the on-screen signs, so that doubles it to around 1 hour, coz you'd have to repeat listening to it to check the lead-ins and lead-outs... then rewatch the 20-30 min long anime to check if there are timing errors and scene bleeds and blinking subs and the like, and most importantly, to check the time the subs appear so that the watchers can have enough time to read the whole line (c0z lets face it, not everyone reads as fast as anyone else, and it is such a hassle to like pause every time a long line appears)... and thats just timing...
X
Royal Jester
Royal Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by Axelfar on 2008-12-27, 00:40

So this explains why my eyes are burning after timing and typesetting and doing a bit of translating for episode 25? LOL

I had gone into zombie mode and just assumed I was doing all those steps :S

Episode 25 is pretty much done but there are a couple lines that we need to wait on translation since we can't quite figure out what they're saying :S
Axelfar
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Acru-Fox on 2008-12-27, 06:07

FoxKit wrote:...
Making sure your subs don't last beyond scene cuts, making sure your translation makes sense, and in Zorori's case, that the puns make sense; it's all very time consuming.

And boy does Zorori use puns a lot. We've been trying to show his pun speech pattern more, but some of his speech puns would slow down viewing time. Just wait until the epic pun battle happens in an upcoming ep. There will be puns flying all over the place.
Acru-Fox
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-03-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by USB 3.0 on 2008-12-27, 13:51

axelfar wrote:And boy does Zorori use puns a lot. We've been trying to show his pun speech pattern more, but some of his speech puns would slow down viewing time. Just wait until the epic pun battle happens in an upcoming ep. There will be puns flying all over the place.

can't wait to get working on it Very Happy
USB 3.0
Joke Teller
Joke Teller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kyuubikira on 2008-12-28, 14:41

a pun battle, -now that i know this is what goes into subing eps i feel sorry for you guys XD
kyuubikira
Comedian
Comedian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxKit on 2008-12-29, 00:59

By the way, I've got a bit more time on my hands now, so if you guys need some timing / typesetting done, I can do it. I can start work without a script, now that I'm used to Aegis... Just give me a PM.
FoxKit
Royal Jester
Royal Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: