[ 1 ]
7% 7% 
[ 1 ]
6% 6% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 15

Aspect Ratios

Post by Acru-Fox on 2009-05-15, 18:08

With only 11 episodes left of the first series, we'd like some input on how you would like to watch the second series. The topic of aspect ratios has come up. Right now we release episodes in 720x480 Xvid. Should we start releasing in H264 or should we switch to 640X480? Let us know what you think Very Happy

Here's a sample video of the series 2 opening in 640x480 in H264:

Sample Video
Acru-Fox
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-03-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Aspect Ratios

Post by dominiquepucca on 2009-05-15, 18:17

Well The 640X480 Better!
(I Think)
pale
dominiquepucca
Prankster Genius
Prankster Genius

Female Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2009-03-21

View user profile http://www.puccaclub.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Aspect Ratios

Post by Kaito on 2009-05-15, 20:13

Well, it looks good, but I can't decide. Suspect
Kaito
Prankster Genius
Prankster Genius

Male Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2009-03-29

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/juliohv90

Back to top Go down

Post by Crowley on 2009-05-15, 20:16

Interesting.

The sample looks to be a much higher quality- honestly, I would go with that.
Crowley
Joke Teller
Joke Teller

Male Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-04-12

View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/groups/zorori_group

Back to top Go down

Post by Axelfar on 2009-05-15, 20:41

Well keep in mind also that a H264 720x480 would also have the same quality, it's just that with H264 it takes a lot more cpu power to play.Smile
Kaiketsu_Spy wrote:Interesting.

The sample looks to be a much higher quality- honestly, I would go with that.
Axelfar
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 331
Registration date : 2008-03-26

View user profile http://axelfar.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by X on 2009-05-16, 04:50

oh cool.. h264.. XD

definitely h264.. higher quality.. better compression.. X3

i dont really see much difference aspect ratio-wise.. so i go with 720x480 resolution.. hehe.. more space for karaoke making.. XP
X
Royal Jester
Royal Jester

Male Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-10-02

View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/yell0wf0x

Back to top Go down

Post by USB 3.0 on 2009-05-16, 06:41

ummmm

as for compression, i suggest x264 in an MP4 container of course ..

about the aspect ratios: every encoder knows that the aspect ratios of the original DVDs should be kept the same in their releases and should not be played with .. *or else the video will be totally screwed up*

and what about audio encoding?

what about using matroska containers? are we still sticking to hardsubs?
USB 3.0
Joke Teller
Joke Teller

Male Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-06-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Axelfar on 2009-05-16, 07:14

Back before Zorori Project, the general consensus was that H264 was too taxing of a codec to use as many viewers would have playback problems. In fact, until recently even one of our members couldn't play it back smoothly.

As for the aspect ratio, again it goes back to before Z-P. The original TV raws/dvdrips that were encoded and made available were in a 640x480 4:3 aspect ratio. It wasn't until I got my hands on actual Zorori DVD's did I realize this was not the case. What we have released so far has been by DVD default but the subject still comes up once and awhile. Personally I think neither looks quite right, 640x480 4:3 looks a little squished and the 720x480 ones look a bit stretched out.

As for matroska, I'm not a fan of it much. It would be nice to turn off the subs and watch them as they were intended. Unfortunately last time I checked, it ended up being too cumbersome to work with. I remember attempting to do this and having to embed the fonts used, then there were timing problems with karaoke, just the beginning Zorori logo alone slowed the video down until it was past it, then the video played catch up after it got past it, then it became apparent others had playback problems because of the codec pack they used.

It all boils down to what is feasible, Zorori is a niche anime and going with the best possible everything will most cause more problems than it's worth. Series 1 is still planned on being redone of course with your help, unfortunately there are not enough resources right now to do so. All the scripts have to be rechecked for typos and translation errors etc, and we don't have anyone else to go over them with a fine tooth comb to make sure those errors get corrected.
Axelfar
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re:Aspect Ratios

Post by dominiquepucca on 2009-05-16, 11:15

Please,Acru!
Finnish This Work Of Episode 42 Of Zorori.
Sad Crying or Very sad
dominiquepucca
Prankster Genius
Prankster Genius

Back to top Go down

Post by USB 3.0 on 2009-05-16, 12:46

@acru:

can't you just check the resolution of the original videos on the DVDs and apply it on our releases? so that we can view the episodes like how the producers want us to view!

and as for matroska .. no encoder in their right mind will embed a karaoke file with the video in an MKV file ..

even my computer won't run a soft-karaoke without slowing down ..

ummmm .. anyways ..

if you intend to hardsub the next series with x264, NEVER use avi containers!

that means you really gotta get rid of ye ol' virtual dub ..

and if you are too lazy to learn advanced encoding programs, just use the n00b-proof program called StaxRip ..

and puh-leez read about AVS scripts .. they can help a lot in cleaning the videos and are simple to use ..

i can tell how to write them if it will help us getting better zorori releases ..
USB 3.0
Joke Teller
Joke Teller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dominiquepucca on 2009-05-16, 12:49

I Help You!
O.K!
bom
queen
dominiquepucca
Prankster Genius
Prankster Genius

Back to top Go down

Post by Crowley on 2009-05-16, 14:25

acru-fox wrote:All the scripts have to be rechecked for typos and translation errors etc, and we don't have anyone else to go over them with a fine tooth comb to make sure those errors get corrected.

I can't correct them myself, but I can easily identify most general problems for later use.
Crowley
Joke Teller
Joke Teller

Male Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-04-12

View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/groups/zorori_group

Back to top Go down

Post by Axelfar on 2009-05-16, 16:41

Check? I've just let various programs detect the default resolutions and they all come back 720x480, I think only flaskmpeg detected it as 640x480, So far I'm being given the impression to leave them at 720x480 which I have no problem doing *lol* Actually I'd like some better methods to remove the horrible interlacing they decided to go with on the DVD, something nicer than blend, it doesn't seem to catch all the interlacing.

See now matroska wouldn't really be very appealing to use as of the karaoke problems, which those kind of limitations I might as well have the subtitles embedded into the original DVD's Smile Not even my quad core can run soft karaoke, and oddly it's not computer speed problem either, I've seen it slow way down and hardly 15-20% of my quad processor is being used.

I wish you would stop assuming I don't want to learn or can't learn it, etc. As it is, I'm stretched to my limit trying to get these episodes out on time, I know how to use AVS scripts too, I learned those back before Zorori-Project too. Remember I have to work in the confines of everyone else I do have that helps me, and if I completely change the process I run into other problems.

I don't have enough Zorori staff as it is, to have all this extra time to sit down and rearrange everything, especially since what we are doing already works. :S
Axelfar
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NBS Dark on 2009-05-17, 00:59

I say we leave it as it is. After all it hasn't had that many problems.
NBS Dark
Comedian
Comedian

Male Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-04-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by USB 3.0 on 2009-05-17, 06:50

well everybody makes the karaoke hard-embedded with the video then only add subtitles next to the video with karaoke in a matroska file ..
and please don't try to make it sound like if writing AVS scripts and compressing with modern ways will slow down your work!
they will rather make it faster and with a lot better quality ..
again, it's all back to you and axelfar .. so no need to get nervous .. i'm just telling my opinions ..
as for DVD-ripping .. NEVER use a program to auto-rip them into avi files .. i would rather use AVS codes and MeGUI's d2v creator ..
USB 3.0
Joke Teller
Joke Teller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Axelfar on 2009-05-17, 08:05

It's not that they will just slow me down....the fact of the matter is I have a system in place that works. I don't want to start messing around with a system that already works for new releases, most people are happy with what we put out as well with the quality used, that methodology won't change for new releases.

And as I mentioned the original discs have serious interlacing issues that already cause a drop in quality in removing them, and I remember spending a ton of time finding the best way to remove most of it.

I have to work with other people as well as their schedules, I wouldn't consider "modernizing" things until Axel has a modern computer, not all of us are running state of the art computers Razz
Axelfar
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by luffink on 2009-05-21, 18:52

Leaving aside the aspect ratio issue(because I have no idea about this stuff), thanks a lot for the download. I´ve been looking everywhere for the opening of the second season(that ended today in Spain) without results ^^

luffink
Pun User
Pun User

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-07-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top